Our organic Kukicha (pronounced KU-key-cha) is a distinctive organic Japanese green tea that consists of green tea leaves and thin white twigs. Yes, twigs and you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the results. We offer a high quality tea, which is very popular in Japan. This so-called twig tea, particularly the fine leaf ribs are used and mixed with a Sencha. The fine, light-green leaf stalks together with the dark green Sencha have a beautiful appearance.
Reasons to LOVE this tea:
- fine, tangy, very pleasant note that resembles a high grade Japanese Sencha
- nice with evening meals due to its low caffeine content
- The cup is lemon yellow infusion that has a full, spicy smell
- Great Source of Antioxidants, which have been shown to lower the risk of heart disease.
- According to a 2006 review of the beneficial effects of green tea in the Journal of American College of Nutrition, when comparing dry leaves, unoxidized green tea retains more antioxidants than black, oolong, or pu-erh. The catechin (or antioxidant) that displays the greatest increase in green tea when compared to the black, oolong and pu-erh is EGCG (epigallocatechin-3-gallate). (Reference: “Beneficial Effects of Green Tea – A Review” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, Vol 25, No 2 (2006)